What Will Your Day Spa Experience Be Like?
Different spas have different features and different specialties. If you’ve never been to a spa before and are curious about what you can expect, here are some of the day spa services you can look forward to. A trip to the spa is all about making you feel rejuvenated and healthy, so look for the parts of a spa trip that sound the best to you.
- Consultation: People with different skin types need different products and routines to cleanse their skin and keep it healthy. Near the beginning of your facial, your specialist will examine your skin and ask you a few questions so the two of you can decide what treatments would be the best fit for your facial.
- Cleansing: Deep cleansing is one of the most refreshing parts of a good facial, and this step involves cleaning your skin of makeup, dirt and sweat, and larger portions of dead skin prior to exfoliation. Your esthetician might also use steam throughout this step or others to open your pores and relax your skin.
- Massage: Massages are like gentle exercise for your skin, and different types of massages are used to get your facial muscles stimulated and relaxed. Many facial massages use oils or lotions, and some of these include aromatherapy for deeper relaxation.
- Exfoliations: Depending on what you and your facialist discussed during your consultation, exfoliation can take any number of forms. They will apply a gel, cream, or mask that treats blackheads and whiteheads to leave your skin smooth and reduce blemishes.
- Extractions: The exfoliation step leaves the skin around your blackheads and whiteheads relaxed and ready for extractions, which is the process of removing the heads themselves. Because your skin has been cleansed and relaxed through the previous steps, there should be little to no discomfort at this stage. But if you have any questions or concerns, be sure to ask; your facialist will be happy to walk you through each of the steps and address any concerns you have before, during, and after this process.
- Mask: Facial masks are when all of the information your facialist learned about your skin during the prior stages and your consultation really makes a difference. You will be matched with the best facial mask for your skin type, skin conditions, and long-term skin care habits to add nutrients to your skin. During this stage, you are also likely to receive a hand and arm massage.
- Hand and Arm Massage: Just like with a facial massage, hand and arm massages help you feel relaxed as your skin is exercised and the muscles are stimulated. This encourages healthy blood flow near the skin, which also helps wash away toxins within your body and makes your skin glow.
- Applications of Serums, Moisturizer, and Sunscreen: All of the previous stages are designed to cleanse, repair, and rejuvenate your skin. This step prepares your skin for the day ahead with the right moisturizers to keep your skin fresh for a big event or to keep your skin relaxed and nourished throughout the rest of the day. And, because your skin has been thoroughly cleaned, sunscreen will also be reapplied.
If you are looking for specific treatments and have a lot of questions about your skin type, our trained professionals can help you find the answers you’re looking for. Show up with a list of questions on the day of your spa trip or contact Shelley’s Day Spa & Salon.